You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you; it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.
We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation.
The Head of Vehicle Systems Engineering is responsible for leading a team of functional leaders and all of systems engineering and verification activities, their data analysis, system architectural design, system integration, and testing of our Nikola class 8 BEV and FCEV trucks. In this role you will lead analysis, design, test, validation, and release of the following areas:
- Vehicle Systems Requirement Management
- Manage and Execute the Engineering Design Review across engineering disciplines
- Vehicle Performance analysis and integration (simulation and data analytics)
- Vehicle Calibration and Verification execution (Virtual validation and physical verification)
- Vehicle Technology management and product application analysis
- Provide strategic leadership to the functional leaders and their teams in the development and execution of vehicle systems requirements, modeling and simulation, vehicle calibration, systems validation and vehicle verification.
- Lead development, calibration and verification of vehicle system specifications incorporating company/industry/regulatory standards, and test procedures to meet function, quality, and requirements of the program.
- Manage vehicle calibration and verification teams to execute system calibration and verification according to subsystems and components guidelines, and ensure vehicle functions and performance meet product requirements
- Translate product requirements into vehicle technical requirements and work with systems teams to develop systems, subsystems and components requirements to meet product needs
- Lead vehicle KPI development to drive systems teams to develop and integrate new or advanced technologies for improving vehicle and system efficiencies, to attain targeted vehicle fuel economy and to understand and document impacts/trade-offs to vehicle performance
- Align with vehicle platform team to define product needs and perform impact analysis on new product features development
- Develop strategy and establish a team to execute vehicle digital twin capabilities through simulations and modeling tools, including data analytics and results visualization to provide critical information to the systems teams to perform optimization and new product development
- Develop and maintain the DVP&R and DFMEA including both in-house and supplier testing plans to ensure sign-off tests are completed on schedule
- BSME, BS Automotive Engineering or related degree
- 15+ years automotive or heavy truck industry product development or systems engineering experience
- Excellent communications skills demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels
- Proven experience in leading vehicle design and development teams.
- Working knowledge of FMEA, DVP&R, DFSS, DFA, DFM, APQP, VAVE and problem resolution (8D, Ishikawa diagrams, etc.)
- Engineering knowledge of defined requirements and validation of component(s) / system(s) design, function, performance, production & manufacturing requirements, testing, and validation
- Experience launching automotive or trucking products
Candidates must have current U.S. work authorization or be TN eligible from Mexico or Canada. This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.EEO Statement
Nikola Corporation™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.