At FreeWire we fundamentally change the way businesses and utilities electrify. We build battery-based energy storage systems that provide clean and quiet power anywhere it’s needed, reducing the cost and accelerating deployment of electric vehicle charging infrastructure. FreeWire’s solutions are evolving from providing ultrafast EV charging services to a full suite of energy services to accelerate sustainable electrification and provide resiliency to customers and a distributed power source to utilities. FreeWire has secured major strategic investors from Fortune 100 companies and serves leading corporate, utility, and retail customers. The feedback on the Boost Charger, FreeWire’s DC fast charger, has been overwhelmingly positive as we electrify locations that would have been too expensive to power on using conventional charging solutions. Utilities are releasing RFPs with requests for battery backed solutions, their regulatory teams are including our technology as eligible for incentives, and they are seeking cost effective solutions as they electrify their fleets and provide utility owned charging solutions for the public.
FreeWire has deployed battery-integrated chargers with Fortune 100 companies, commercial customers, fleets, retail locations, and gas stations. In addition to its partnership with bp pulse, FreeWire and ampm, a bp subsidiary and convenience store chain with over 1,000 locations, have already deployed multiple public charging stations in the U.S. FreeWire’s regulatory affairs and policy team keeps customers up to date on federal, state, and utility incentive opportunities, which in some cases cover up to 80% of the cost of the charging station, and the company recently announced that the Boost Charger is Buy America compliant. Learn more at www.freewiretech.com and follow us @FreeWireTech.
Senior Software Engineer
To meet our ambitious goals, we are looking for hands-on Java or C++ developers and architects to join our team with the below qualifications. If you want to join a start-up that is accelerating in growth, love to code and have your code interact with hardware, then come join our winning team!
- Develop device software using Java, which interacts with hardware relying on CAN Bus, OCPP, and additional protocols
- Test your code on hardware and create enhanced processes for testing
- Manage code through industry-standard tools such as Gradle, Maven, and JFrog
- Influence architecture and system design from a software perspective
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent in experience
- 3+ years of experience in building software products for external customer use in Java, C++, Python, or other object-oriented languages
- Experience working with Linux or similar O/S
- Enjoy working in an environment that encourages group participation, relying on agile practices, design and code reviews, and CI/CD model
- Understanding of software and hardware interaction
- Strong coding, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Strong motivation and hunger to learn and grow your skillset
- Understanding or development experience with CAN Bus standard and OCPP protocol
- Experience with build tools such as Gradle and project management tools such as Maven
- Understanding or experience compiling Linux kernel and creating embedded system environments through Yocto or similar tools
- Strong experience and expertise with Java for embedded systems and environments
- Systems Design and Systems Architecture experience/expertise
- Knowledge or understanding of software technical stacks, such as LAMP, MEAN, and MERN
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and may be subject to changes or amendments to meet the evolving needs of the company. Thus, this position may include responsibilities or duties not specifically stated, but which may be deemed necessary.
FreeWire offers competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog Friendly
We provide compensation packages that include base pay, benefits, and equity, and it is not typical for someone to be hired at the top end of the range for the role. Actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including location, skills, and experience level.
At FreeWire Technologies, we offer fair and equal opportunities to all our candidates and team members regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, disability status, parental status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. FreeWire Technologies believes in hiring individuals only based on their qualifications and experiences that meet our business requirements to fill the positions.