Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations. Role Summary
As the Senior Manage, Automation Controls Engineering you are responsible for both the strategic planning and development of programming standards and the day-to-day operations of our automation and controls organization. This position requires significant engagement with Manufacturing Engineering, Factory Data, IT, and MES disciplines to assure that controls stratagem is deployed with consistent logic from shop-to-shop and process-to-process.The organization troubleshoots technical issues impacting production, often working with cross functional teams.This is a plant position, heavily engaged in the manufacturing throughput of production areas including Assembly, Battery and Drive Unit, Body Shop, Paint, and Stamping departments. This opening will be located at our Social Circle, GA facility and reports directly to the Director of Maintenance. Responsibilities
- Managing the day-to-day operations of an organization of Automation Controls Engineers and Managers that support and improve all aspects of controls hardware and software.
- Subject Matter Expert for the maintenance, modification, and deployment of control equipment programs, configuration files, and documentation. This includes, but is not limited to, hardware, electrical, safety, pneumatic, network, robotics, PLC, HMI, SCADA, and MES. A key driver for this is relentless pursuit of continuous improvement while maintaining a focus on cycle time reduction, robot optimization, fast fault recovery, and downtime reduction.
- Key stakeholder in the implementation and deployment of Factory Information Systems for constraint analysis, including owning the strategy for fault code definition – which includes ensuring HMI/Ignition systems can display user-friendly, intuitive information for troubleshooting and analysis.
- Ensure all programming and logic is compliant to appropriate standards (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA), with reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Oversee technical issues, including key decision-making on standard trade-offs.
- Lead equipment and documentation buy-offs, including participation in FAT, SAT, and Safety.This also includes ensuring that the field bus network devices and network configurations are robust.
- Guide the development of controls standards and specifications by providing feedback and lessons-learned for each shop to drive continuous improvement and achievement of production rate/OEE.
- High proficiency in various programming languages and robotics programming. Drive for code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable.
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing team that meets agreed objectives, and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements.
- Fosters a unified culture and facilitates collaboration, cooperation, sharing of information, and teamwork.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned within the scope of the position.
- This position may require working off-shifts, or adjusted hours.
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering or equivalent with major in Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.
- 10+ years of Automation Controls Engineering experience, preferably in automotive or automotive component maintenance, with experience managing teams of like engineers.
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership position.
- 4+ years of experience in launching equipment, including leading design reviews and validating equipment safety during buy-off (automation/robotic checklists, ProTag, SafeTag, or equivalent).
- In-depth knowledge of Safety Standards (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA), Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric Code, UL508A), and writing standard and safety PLC code from scratch for high-volume manufacturing equipment.
- Expert-level knowledge of common controls hardware components used in high-volume manufacturing facilities, and advanced proficiency in programming industrial equipment using various IEC 61131-3 languages.Experience developing and modifying electrical schematics using EPLAN, AutoCAD Electrical, or similar.
- Experience creating HMI projects from scratch using FactoryTalk View, WinCC, Ignition or TwinCAT HMI.
- Experience setting up, programming, and troubleshooting industrial 6-axis robots such as Fanuc, ABB, Kawasaki, etc.
- Experience designing topologies for and troubleshooting common fieldbus networks such as Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT, or Profinet.
- Experience interfacing manufacturing equipment with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES).
- Experience building and managing a technical team through effective 1:1s, thoughtful feedback, career growth planning, and performance reviews.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to alternate between standing and walking 8-12 hours per day
- Ability to climb steps to access platforms and workstations
- Manual dexterity to grasp and manipulate materials
- Able to position one’s body to access and assemble materials (bending squatting/stooping/kneeling/reaching below waist and above shoulder).
- Ability to do work on the production floor with exposure to dust, fumes, orders, loud noise and varying temperatures
- Ability to climb up/down ladders and stairs, negotiate uneven or moving surfaces, and work at varying heights
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.