We are the movers of the world and the makers of the future. We get up every day, roll up our sleeves and build a better world -- together. At Ford, we’re all a part of something bigger than ourselves. Are you ready to change the way the world moves?
Ford’s Research and Advanced Engineering team takes new ideas from theory to reality. Every day, we develop advanced energy management and propulsion technologies, create cutting-edge materials and manufacturing processes, and curate world-class cabin experiences that redefine what it means to drive a Ford.
This position focused on design, simulation and testing of inverter and power semiconductor devices for traction drive applications.Responsibilities
What you'll do...
- Design next generation power electronic converters for electrified vehicles.
- Support development of smart gate drive technologies for silicon and wide band gap devices.
- Conduct field leading research in power electronic topologies, high frequency technologies and materials for inverter applications.
- Test and quantify semiconductor and inverter component losses, safe operating area.
- Effectively communicate results by writing technical reports, invention disclosures and present data to management.
- Monitor international trends in power electronics and advancements in gate drives, to support loss reduction in inverter systems.
- Support technical interaction with experts from inverter control, low voltage circuit designers and electric machines.
Even better, you may have...
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of research/industry experience in fields of high voltage power electronic systems and high-power gate drive applications.
- 3+ years in at least 3 of the following areas (coursework, internships, Research and Co-ops Included)
- Knowledge in HV system design, busbar & capacitor layout, testing of HV traction inverter, HV passive component sizing, ripple current/voltage estimation.
- Experience in modeling of HV circuit for inverter, to measure losses as function of operating voltage, current and temperature. Knowledge in modeling inverter system stability.
- Experience in modeling semiconductor device for high voltage power electronic systems, using Synopsys SABER or similar. Ability to replicate device slew rate, tail current, turn on/off delay, voltage spike and reverse recovery.
- Practical experience in double pulse test procedure, to quantify switching loss, device slew rates, voltage spike, reverse recovery, and miller capacitance.
- Expertise in high-speed time domain signal acquisition and analysis using oscilloscopes, passive probes, optical differential probes, for high voltage power electronic systems.
- Expertise in time-to-frequency domain correlation. Ability to match time domain signals with frequency spectrum analysis using equipment such spectrum and network analyzer.
- PHD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- MATLAB, FPGA programming, LabView, PLECS, Simplorer, Synopsys SABER, SPICE, Fusion 360, Altium, KiCAD
- Adept with laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, probes, LCR meter, network and spectrum analyzer, HV power supplies.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills to ensure effective communications with technical and management teams.
- Self-motivated individual, with strong intrapersonal skills.
- Ability to lead technical projects with a team-oriented personality.
You may not check every box, or your experience may look a little different from what we've outlined, but if you think you can bring value to Ford Motor Company, we encourage you to apply!
As an established global company, we offer the benefit of choice. You can choose what your Ford future will look like: will your story span the globe, or keep you close to home? Will your career be a deep dive into what you love, or a series of new teams and new skills? Will you be a leader, a changemaker, a technical expert, a culture builder…or all of the above? No matter what you choose, we offer a work life that works for you, including:
- Immediate medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
- Flexible family care, parental leave, new parent ramp-up programs, subsidized back-up child care and more
- Vehicle discount program for employees and family members, and management leases
- Tuition assistance
- Established and active employee resource groups
- Paid time off for individual and team community service
- A generous schedule of paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Paid time off and the option to purchase additional vacation time.
For a detailed look at our benefits, click here:
Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status. In the United States, if you need a reasonable accommodation for the online application process due to a disability, please call 1-888-336-0660.