Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations. Role Summary
A quality engineer is responsible for identifying quality topics needing resolution, determining the root cause of issues and process failures. Collaborating with operations, the supplier, design, and process engineering to define a resolution. Then delegating and driving this solution through the process, to series implementation, validating the effectiveness of the measure on the end-product or running process. Drive process capability studies to assure sustainable assembly processes. Duties in this arena include tracking and monitoring multiple projects and issues simultaneously, using available resources to support robust resolutions and verification of effectiveness, identifying needs for additional resources should these be needed, and reporting out to leadership on progress. Focusing on fastenings, and specifically the torque processes behind them, this role is responsible to ensure that tools are calibrated, processes are in place for when a tool goes down, and that regular maintenance is described, planned, and implemented. This person will also interface with fastening engineering to review residual torque results on critical joints in the interest of improving the design of the joints and providing better residual torques. They will have a basic understanding of torque theory and applications in a variety of different materials and their effects on residuals. This person will provide technical guidance to the team collecting residual torques, calibrating and maintaining the tools, and providing on-line support in cases of a tool-down situation. This position will report to the Sr. Manager in Quality onsite in Normal, IL. Responsibilities
- Drive the problem-solving process utilizing proven quality tools to develop immediate countermeasures (containments) and permanent (long-term) solutions
- Support development of methods and procedures to analyze process quality, specifically those related to torque processes.
- Improve product/process quality by defining/implementing recommendations for improvements of current state.
- Analyze data using JMP, MiniTab or Excel to define trends, capability, and functional improvements
- Work together with relevant teams and departments to ensure the torque tools remain fully functional in support of production.
- Conduct analyses of issues to identify all root causes and overseeing the validation of solutions.
- Brainstorm and drive ideas to create solutions for identified problems.
- Define and create the torque programs for dynamic torque tooling needed to achieve specific design targets of clamp load and static torque as defined by design engineering.
- Set goals for performance and deadlines in ways that comply with company’s plans and vision.
- Organize workflow and ensure that team participants understand their duties and delegated tasks.
- Ensure adherence to legal and company policies and procedures.
- Potential business travel to support product /process/system development at Rivian company locations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Established experience working with torques and torque-tools (battery, DC, impulse and direct drive)
- High proficiency in computer technology and systems operations, ideally for torque systems (e.g. ToolsNet, ToolsTalk 2, Atlas Copco/Estic or similar tools)
- Strong understanding of Cost-of-Quality and Cradle-to-Grave Business-Case metrics.
- Advanced Excel skills and knowledge of Power BI or Tableau a plus
- Experienced in working with SharePoint.
- Manufacturing/assembly process experience.
- Results driven with a Quality Mindset.
- Experience as a Quality Assurance Supervisor or Engineer, able to track and steer relevant metrics.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experienced with statistical process control / control charts and capability measurement tools.
- Good electronic communication software skills (MS Office, Minitab, email, etc.).
- Willingness to work in a strong cross-functional and collaborative environment
Engineering, Quality, Computer Science or Business Technical Bachelor-Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.Or 1-3+ years’ relevant experience in an automotive manufacturing environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- In the performance of the duties of this job the employee is required to travel (frequency), drive a motor vehicle, communicate using telephone and e-mail.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.