Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations. Role Summary
The Product Sustainability team is at the heart of Rivian’s sustainability efforts. We are responsible for designing sustainability into the vehicles from the ground up, including sourcing low-impact materials, fostering innovative manufacturing techniques, reducing operational impacts, and creating responsible end-of-life pathways.
As the Sustainable Materials Lead, you will be responsible for developing and scaling Rivian’s sustainable materials program. Rivian is aggressively pursuing decarbonization and circularity initiatives that necessitate bringing the most sustainable materials into our products while optimizing for economic and performance criteria. The Lead covers the entire material development cycle: identification of novel materials and technologies; validation testing; evaluation using sustainability analytics; tool trials; and integration into the product design.
In any given day, you may find yourself working with startups on advanced material technologies, establishing environmental profiles for unique materials, or collaborating with engineers and designers on materials choices for future vehicles. The Product Sustainability team measures our success by our ability to transform sustainability science into real-world change. Responsibilities
- Take a leading role in developing Rivian’s sustainable materials program
- Evaluate the environmental footprint of proposed materials using life cycle assessment (LCA)
- Utilize material flow analysis (MFA) to evaluate stocks and flows in Rivian products
- Work with design, engineering, and procurement to develop and implement viable strategies to meet Rivian’s sustainable materials objectives
- Effectively communicate sustainability metrics and strategies to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences, driving sustainability literacy across the business
- Lead innovation in materials to advance Rivian as the leading brand in sustainability. Partner with Materials Engineering and external suppliers to bring the latest material technologies to market
- Bachelors of Science in an engineering or scientific discipline
- 4+ years (Preferred) of sustainable materials experience (industry or academia)
- Experience with sustainable materials development and/or analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge of life cycle assessment (LCA) methods and data
- Ability to "measure what matters" in terms of engineering metrics, KPIs and extracting meaning out of complex sets of data
- A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture-
- Experience bringing novel materials to market, including discovery, validation, and application on product (Preferred)
- Experience in a product design environment; automotive or technology sectors are a plus (Preferred)
- Subject matter depth in one or more material disciplines, such as bio-based and recycled polymers, metallurgy, or recycling technologies (Preferred)
Salary Range Irvine-Based Applicants: $121-$140(actual compensation will be determined based on experience, and other factors permitted by law).
Salary Range Palo Alto-Based Applicants: $130,000 -$150,000 (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, and other factors permitted by law).
Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.