Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations. Role Summary
As a Staff Battery Algorithms Engineer at Rivian, you will contribute to our cutting-edge electric vehicle (EV) technology, playing a vital role in developing and optimizing advanced algorithms for our electric vehicle battery management systems (BMS). This position requires a deep understanding of battery modeling, state estimation, control strategies, optimization, and software implementation & validation to ensure the exceptional performance, safety, and longevity of Rivian's electric vehicles. Responsibilities
- Design and implement state-of-the-art algorithms for accurately estimating battery states, including SOC, SOH, and SOP, tailored to Rivian's unique EV characteristics, various battery pack configurations, and cell chemistries.
- Utilize models and data to continuously improve existing algorithms to meet Rivian's performance targets and adapt to the dynamic requirements of electric vehicle technology.
- Utilize fleet data pipeline to monitor algorithm performance, derive valuable insights, and optimize algorithms to provide better vehicle performance and user experience.
- Employ simulation-based algorithm optimization techniques to enhance algorithm performance in virtual environments.
- Work with test engineers and utilize Rivian’s test platforms to develop and automate test cases for algorithm deployment, including unit testing, MIL, SIL, HIL, pack, and vehicle, ensuring alignment with Rivian's rigorous quality standards.
- Work with Rivian's cell engineering team to understand and incorporate cell-level data and models of different chemistries into BMS algorithm development.
- Partner with the system engineering team to intake system-level functional and safety requirements for algorithm development.
- Collaborate with the vehicle system and control teams to integrate battery algorithms seamlessly into Rivian's overall EV system designs.
- Advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Proven experience in battery algorithm development, modeling, and simulation, preferably within the electric vehicle industry.
- Strong proficiency in programming languages such as C or Python.
- Expertise in MATLAB/Simulink and model-based design methodologies for developing and validating battery algorithms.
- Familiarity with functional safety concepts, ISO 26262 requirements, and their application to electric vehicle systems.
- Experience with real-time embedded systems and hardware implementation.
- Proficiency in big data analysis skills, including SQL, Spark, Pandas, etc., is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to thrive in a collaborative team environment.
- Effective communication skills to convey complex technical concepts to diverse audiences.
Salary Range/Hourly Rate for California Based Applicants:$163,000.00 - $193,000.00. Insert the min-mid range of the salary band (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location, and other factors permitted by law).
Benefits Summary:Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.