Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations. Role Summary
As the Sr. Manufacturing Engineer – Drive Unit Assembly, you will design automated production lines for product flow, ergonomics and efficiency, scalability, standardization, and continuous quality monitoring. In this role, you will work with supplier and cross functional teams to design high volume production equipment, help guide best manufacturing practices for product design, own the shop layout, and be responsible for new process development and equipment design/implementation at the current Normal Illinois Manufacturing facility as well as the upcoming Atlanta Georgia Manufacturing facility. The role will be in Normal, IL for 12-18 months, with relocation to Georgia OR this position can be based in GA with frequent travel to Normal, IL for the next 12-18 months and will report directly to the Manager, Manufacturing Engineering – Drive Unit. Responsibilities
- Join the team developing and commissioning the next-generation drive unit manufacturing lines for Rivian!
- Design Drive Unit assembly line equipment engineering from initial concept through full mass production
- Responsible for successful project execution measured in terms of cost, safety, performance and delivery schedule
- Ensure equipment and process compliance with applicable standards, policies, acts, regulations and codes
- Develop equipment and process specifications, assess any outsourced vendor capabilities and assist with supplier sourcing efforts based on data
- Provide in-depth design for manufacturing (DFM) feedback to the Product Engineering team to ensure that assembly processes are cost-efficient, robust and high-quality – GD&T alignment for fabrication, metrology and assembly
- Lead controls integration activities with cross functional partners to ensure MES, BOM, and BOP readiness
- Own implementation and testing of digital solutions to enhance manufacturing efficiency and quality
- Assist with feasibility studies to aid validation of manufacturing strategies
- Partner with and manage expectations between cross functional teams to ensure stakeholder engagement and satisfaction with the engineering solutions delivered
- Identify and drive corrective actions for process quality and performance issues
- Bachelors/Masters/PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar technical field – preferred, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience in high volume Manufacturing Engineering
- Experience with Drive Unit systems design preferred; drive unit, e-axle, and transmission manufacturing engineering experience a plus
- Experience with Digital/Controls Integration in high volume manufacturing environment; Manufacturing Execution System, Bill of Process, Bill of Material
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required (up to 50%)
- Experience in manufacturing engineering and production challenges – demonstrated ability to scope, design, commission and launch assembly equipment and systems.
- Knowledgeable in high and low volume manufacturing (APQP, prototyping, GD&T, OEE, equipment and supplier selection, DFM, 8D, process capability, CAD and PLM systems)
- Proficient in complex electro-mechanical system design, drive unit in particular
- Proficient in process characterization and validation using statistical tools
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment
- Experience creating process documentation
- Experience with 2D & 3D software (AutoCAD, Solidworks, and Catia)
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to be subject matter expert in order to make informed decisions for a variety of cross-functional teams, particularly Controls Engineering
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables inventiveness
- Structured: able to organize through methodical framework and documentation to achieve goals harmoniously
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors etc.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.