Canoo’s mission is to bring EVs to Everyone and build a world-class team to deploy this sustainable mobility revolution. We have developed breakthrough electric vehicles that are reinventing the automotive landscape with pioneering technologies, award-winning designs, and a unique business model that spans all owners in the full lifecycle of the vehicle. Canoo is starting production and is distinguished by its pioneering and experienced team of technologists, engineers, and designers. With offices around the country, the company is scaling quickly and seeking candidates who love to challenge themselves, are motivated by purpose, and possess a strong desire to get things done.
The “Canoo Way”
Canoo’s success is the direct result of our disciplined application of our core operating principles and drills, which are based on three main principles: Think 80/20 (“Important versus less important”), Act 30/30 (“Reduce waste and increase output”), and Live 90/10 (“We have each other’s back”). We hire based on “MET” - Mindset, Equipment, and willingness to Train - and seek individuals that take accountability and deliver results while being Humble, Hungry to succeed, and Hunting for opportunities to win. We train our team to engage with each other by modulating between their intellect (iQ) and emotional intelligence (eQ), applying Facts, Finesse, and Force when they communicate. The principles and drills of the CANOO Way have been fundamental to our success, our ability to grow, continuously improve, and innovate are at the core of our day-to-day operations.
Canoo is looking for a suitable candidate for the role of Sr. Engineer, Packaging and Material Flow Engineering. This position requires a knowledgeable & experienced professional with the ability to architect from scratch the material flow, material handling, factory flow, packaging, and warehousing. The selected candidate will have hands on expertise developing material flow, warehouse design, material handling, and warehouse management systems and methods in an automotive manufacturing environment. The suitable candidate is expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields, be a quick learner and ability to deliver in a high volume, fast paced production environment.
This position requires partnership with Manufacturing, Purchasing, Suppliers, Quality, Logistics planning & operations, Inbound logistics, 4PL/3PL, Finance, and Regulatory Affairs to implement new & improved methods & processes and manage changes. This position will report to Sr Manager – Logistics Engineering.
As a Packaging Engineer you will support production and logistics areas by providing the best packaging solutions for the automotive parts. You will be responsible for designing, prototyping, testing, procuring, and implementing packaging for our current and future products, securing safety, ergonomics, and quality standards. Doing this you will be working with cross-functional teams including manufacturing, production, purchasing, material handling / material flow, and suppliers. You also will be continuously improving the packaging solutions, eliminating transportation, quality, and environmental wastes.
- Responsible to develop, manage & maintain Plan for Every Part (PFEP)/Logistics Parts List that delivers the best cost/service solution for every part. This will require analysis of the Volumes, take rates, packaging design, transportation network design & cubing analysis, warehouse design, and the lineside delivery material flow design.
- Understand strategies, analyze options, develop solutions, and present information for various ad hoc requests that impact all areas of logistics.
- Ensure all material flow (external/internal), factory flow & transportation system functionality is configured to optimize performance at Factory & Warehouse
- Develop part flow from warehouse/factory and internal material supply to Point of Use (POU) using Lean manufacturing concept principles.
- Monitor and control material handling specifications, flow, methodologies & systems to support Production according to business systems requirement and to avoid obstruction to the parts supply flow.
- Properly utilize analytical tools, simulation, modeling, and other data driven tools to aid in reduced lead time and increased accuracy of deliverables.
- Leads packaging projects for Canoo work-in-process & in-bound production parts.
- Works in conjunction with manufacturing & production to develop repackaging, sequencing & kitting carts that meet just-in-time requirements.
- Drives the design and implementation of returnable & expendable packaging solutions for Canoo vehicle parts and components.
- Manages expendable to returnable projects and participate in sustainability initiatives
- Support new product introductions by ensuring parts have a packaging solution prior to release of the new product feature.
- Analyze contractual commitments, internal specifications, and design changes to drive continuous improvement.
- Perform special research or technical studies critical to Supply Chain support functions.
- Perform cost/benefit tradeoff analysis and develop Return-On-Investment (ROI) business cases for recommended projects involving process, system, or technology change.
- Forecast facility, storage, staffing and/or material handling equipment needs to improve cost, utilization, service, and efficiencies.
- Conduct studies to determine the most efficient sequence of operations and workflow by analyzing production costs, process flow charts, and production schedules.
- Determine and gain agreement of final design of facility, operating process, equipment type and quantity.
- Partner with key functional groups that are part of implementation (HR, IT, Manufacturing, etc.) to develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Document and communicate common processes for all distribution functions within scope of responsibility.
- Review data and summarize expectations to address gaps in operation.
- Identify areas for improvement based on analysis of data and observations.
- Ensure alignment among all operations’ policies, procedures, and ongoing improvement projects.
- Facilitate LEAN methodology and recommend solutions to specific business case issues. Understand and apply essential LEAN elements like line balancing, variance reduction, error/mistake proofing, waste elimination, JIS, JIT, Minomi, Jidoka, etc.
- Work with manufacturing & operations to help optimize total factory costs, workstation reduction, increased workstation density, with smart use of Just-in-sequence, Just-in-time, Kitting, and other material presentation methods.
- Create an optimized balance of stock at workstation, kit cell & storage location to help optimize material delivery routes within the factories to reduce congestion and with improved efficiency.
- Work with manufacturing & IT to help implement a material pull system – from workstations, from kitting cells and from storage locations. This should support lean/optimized balance at stock at workstation, kit cell, staging and storage/warehouse locations.
- Work in conjunction with 4PL/3PL/Warehouse Operations team to Implement material 6-alarm systems from supplier to line side presentation to ensure no material disruption at lineside.
- Utilize statistical tools such as Pareto Charts, Histograms, Cause & Effect Diagrams, FMEA etc. to help quantify impact & drive process improvements. Create a Value Stream Map or Flow Diagram of process to identify critical to quality points.
- Maintain expertise in proven industry methods and tools such as DMAIC, value-stream mapping, and 5S.
- Educate team members in LEAN to support and develop a sustainable continual improvement culture.
- Work with leadership to drive continual improvement programs, Kaizen events, and workshops.
- Ensure that all projects include a sustainability component and drive adherence at multiple levels within the organization utilizing integrated process audits, floor-level dashboards, and management scorecards.
- Develop and implement project activities plans and timelines, coordinate subcontractors, facility management and field service personnel, and resolve problems in area of Supply chain to ensure meeting of contractual commitments, with planned automation in delivery vehicles, storage (ASRS), Dock automation, Warehouse automation, Aids/assists in kit & sequence cells, material handling equipment, AGC/AGVs etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, (Graduate degree highly desired), in Mechanical/Manufacturing/Industrial Engineering, Packaging Engineering Logistics Engineering, or related field (Supply Chain Engineering). Equivalent & relevant experience will be considered.
Skills & Requirement
- 3+ years in each of these areas: Material flow engineering, Lineside display & Storage/Warehouse design, automation (storage, deliveries, receiving/shipping, etc.). Plus, familiarity with packaging engineering.
- Solid understanding of packaging testing and validation
- Working knowledge of packaging industry standards and regulations
- Basic understanding of transportation protection
- 3+ years of related automotive industry experience and LEAN manufacturing
- 2+ years project management experience, including leading cross-functional groups.
- High level of analytical ability in solving complex problems.
- Strong computer proficiency in MS Office applications, CAD tools
- Significant familiarity with Sequencing/kitting, and related software applications
- Project skills; including analytics, implementation strategies, metric measurement and continuous monitoring expectations and deliverables.
- Strong written, verbal communication / interpersonal skills and presentation skills. Ability to articulate findings, concepts, and ideas in a concise manner.
- Self-starter, Ability to work independently.
- Required travel – Up to 35%
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Meaningful, challenging work that will redefine the automotive landscape and make EVs available to everyone
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Equity Compensation
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.
Canoo maintains compliance with the OFCCP. As such, please feel free to review the following information:
If you are a person with a disability needing assistance with the application process, please call (214) 529-8055 or email us at email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity Posters
Equal Employment Opportunity Posters | U.S. Department of Labor (dol.gov)